Friday, June 1, 2012

Playing with Mama Elephant and watercolors





Those of you who follow my blog know that I used to paint a lot of watercolors when I was younger and that I am on a mission to get back to where I was then (skillwise) through my Sunday Watercolor exercises. Here's my latest SWC post!

I think it's because I've painted quite a lot of watercolors that I haven't fallen head over heels with the new Watercoloring trend in cardmaking.
But today I thought I'd share a technique that I haven't seen anyone using yet - it's a technique popular among watercolorartists to get nice impressionistic texture to their paintings. I used that technique both for lanscapes to get grass or rock texture but also as a great starting point for abstract paintings.


It is super easy, you mix your colors and then cover a piece of watercolor paper with them. Before they've dried you take a piece of plasticfilm that you wringle and then spread across your piece of paper. You let it dry and then you simply pull off the film and see what you got!






Hope you'll give it a try - and if you do - please let me know so I can come and see the result!!!

I'm entering this card for the challenge at Simon Says Stamp and Mama Elephant's color challenge.

Have a great day, hugs, Karin

4 comments:

Miriam Prantner said...

This is one of my favorite techniques from my watercolor class when I was little! You are right, it hardly gets any play in the card world, but it should!!!

Lisa Elton said...

Thanks for the tip Karin! Your background turned out perfect, cute card!

Daša said...

so cute!

Melissa Bove said...

Gorgeous card Karin! Love those sweet images and that beautiful background!!

Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

hugs...
Melissa